Monday, November 21, 2005

Echo REALLY knows her cows, no kidding.

As you know by now the neighbor's cows roam our property, everywhere except for the fenced in yard. Some are brown, some are black, some are very young. What I didn't realize is that Echo seems to know the cows individually. You see, Katy and her young calf live next door and don't roam our property.
This afternoon Echo was outside cow-watching, a normal afternoon activity for her. Then she came to the back sliding glass door and tapped on the glass with her toenails, it appeared to be rather urgent, by the look of the perk in her ears and tail. Before I could get to the back door she had gone around the house and popped in the front door (it is never shut really hard, so she can pop it open with her nose). She came to get me, she was whimpering and it was apparent that she wanted me to follow her outside, there was something she needed to show me. So I found my shoes and followed her outside. Then I saw it--Katy and her calf were on our side of the fence, not where they belonged. I couldn't believe it! But Echo knew that of all the cows that roam our property, that these two cows don't and they belong on the other side of the fence. I patted her and told her "good girl" beaming with pride because she is so smart, as I left the yard and went to put the "lost" cows back on their own side of the fence.
When I got to their gate, Howard my neighbor was there. He had just put the cows on our side of the fence because he wants his cow to be bred by one of the bulls in the herd. But he hadn't told Echo that. She was just doing her job and let me know that something was wrong.
I assured her that all was ok, that now Katy and her calf (whose name is Flower, I have learned) are allowed to be over here. All is well.
Echo settled down.
And, yes, she is dong fine, no more problems from the sticker scratches. I called her vet to let him know. She will still get canned food for a couple more days.
I swear that dog can tell time. It's now five o'clock, time for her dinner, she has come to tell me. Gotta go for now.

1 Comments:

At 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Echo, you're the coolest!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.